Saturday, December 30, 2006

Thoughts on the death of my sister....

How could someone that loud slip away so quietly?! It is now between Christmas and New Year's Day. The death of a friend's father got me thinking of the death of my sister. When Jane died in July of 2005, we were out on the festival grounds, finishing up another annual 'Cornerstone Festival', and my husband and I were on our way to vacation in Montana. Jon had a '30th' high school reunion to get to, and it was all a matter of a day or two. It was such an unexpected time for a death, or are we ever prepared for a death?! On our way to Montana, we went over to East Grand Forks for the wake, day before the funeral. I, as well as my sister Shirley, shared thoughts about Jane, and then we were there for the next day, funeral and burial of Jane. God's Spirit seemed very present at the funeral, as it seemed to bond the family in a way that was out of the normal.

Jane was born with water on the brain, and had had probably about 35 operations in her life. For someone out of such a hard life, Jane had born to her, two lovely girls, very bright, intelligent and beautiful. Jane's marriage had ended very sadly, for her husband had turned out to be not such a nice guy, a really not nice guy. Jane, because of all the illness, was unable to live quite a normal life, and longed to be loved and cared for. She hovered over her prized possessions, her daughters, who did not want to be owned and controlled, for they certainly were their own people. She did however, teach them many valuable things in life, even by her example.

When Jane entered the room, you really knew it, for she was very loud and boisterous. She had a way of annoying you, and probably, way down, she knew it, but couldn't help herself. Jane was very loving to others, she wasn't the type to hold a grudge, nor really, even judge another. She had a way of badgering you though, with her questions and need for acceptance. If she knew someone as a baby or child, she had a hard time looking at that person as an adult, and wanted to treat them as that child, someone she could hold. Really, all that Jane wanted, and needed, was to be loved in return.

On the phone, I do remember Jane expressing her love for Jesus. She told me that she could hardly go to church without crying. I understand that feeling, one that expresses that God really does have one's heart. I am so glad for that, for I know that Jane is now with God, and is happier then ever. Jane has found the love that she has wanted so badly. Jane is now in the arms of Jesus, where she can feel safe and loved.

I did not live by Jane, for many, many years. She was not part of my daily life. I can feel guilty that I didn't have a more positive and consistent input into her life. I do hope that my faith in God was somehow an inspiration to her, in some way. When Jane was a little girl, I did pray with her to receive Jesus, and as He promises, "I will never leave nor forsake you", was true with Jane.

Jane was loved, and loved by many. Many of the people in her church also loved her. Her family, even though not always patiently, loved her. Her daughters loved her. Most of all, she is now, as I stated, in the loving arms of the Lord, and in a glorious place. Something to be pondered on, for either God and His promises are real, or not. Do you feel sure that you will be able to run up to Jane, in the heavenlies, when you die, and greet her once again? You can, not from what good you have done, but by accepting what Jesus did for you, and me, and Jane.

2 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Blogger wayne said...

Thanks Caral for such wonderful and truthful memories of your sister. I was thinking of Jane Christmas eve when visiting with her great girls. I thought how proud shewould have been (is) of her grandchild. Jane more often than not managed to annoy me before a visit was ever over but i could never be mad at her long.

 
At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol,

I was unaware of your sister's passing last summer. I am sorry. Your memories of Jane were well written and now I know a bit about her. Thanks. David James

 

Post a Comment

<< Home