Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Live The Sermon I Preached

Yesterday I preached a sermon in the 'Seniors Church'. It was on dealing with anxiety in the overwhelming world that we live in, or even our own private world. Of course I have felt more overwhelmed by the problems of the women that I serve at times, but yesterday I came into a deeper revelation of one of my own anxieties that I live, and must give over to God.

Sometimes we just don't know ourselves that well. Having a family to love is very important to me, but when divorce happened to me, it ruined my chances of having a happy family more then I realized. When I married Jon, who had his first wife divorce him also, we became what's called a 'blended family'. We both had full custody of our four children, and I kept trying to have great family times and make it all better for everyone. Jon and I bonded with each others kids the best that we could. But there's still always the other parent that the kids want, but the way that they wanted them, and us. As if nothing ever happened.

That's just not the way it's suppose to be, divorce that is. That's why the Bible says that God hates divorce. It may take a lifetime for some of our kids to get over the divorce. I lived over 12 years with someone that never wanted to be married to me, and would have lived another 24 years or so, had he not left me. You can do all things through Christ, who strengthens you.

Personally, I do believe in staying married for the kids sake, just because of how destroyed kids get. Of course I am so very much happier being married to my best friend and soul mate, Jon, but actually, not to sound too pious, I love God and my kids more then I love myself. Holidays are the hardest, and now, I will really need to practice what I preach, by giving my family up to God, even if I never have the soulish family situation that I so desire. I must not compare myself to other families that are 'intact'. I can pray for our kids daily, and I do, and be here for them, when they want/or need me/us.

Here's the sermon.

Philippians 4:4-7 (NIV).

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.



There is so much in this world that helps create anxiety. If not in one's own personal life, then other's lives around us that are troubled can cause us to feel anxious. What is it that we can do when we feel overwhelmed? What should we do when we feel angry or sad?

Most of my life I have been an anxious person. Looking at many of my childhood pictures I always had a worried look on my brow. Most of my life I felt unloved and afraid. When I became a Christian God started to work many healings in me, and even before I knew Him. I have had many things good and bad happen to me, before and after I knew Jesus. Much of my life has been learning to trust in God, and He has certainly proven faithful.

My twin sons were 3 months premature, all 3 of us could have died. That was almost 26 yrs. ago, and they're doing great today. My first marriage was very sad. My first husband wanted to divorce me right after getting married, he felt he made a mistake and could never love me. 13 years later, still feeling the same, he divorced me. That's when I came to JPUSA in '87, and in '89 I married Jon, who also had similar experiences. God has worked much healing into my life through Jon.

I almost drowned once, as I have had a few other almost death experiences. I had 2 cancers in the year of 2000. Yes, I have had my share of ups and downs, but God has proven Himself over and over to me. He is faithful.

Sometimes it is in the little things of life that are hard to trust in God. Or that nagging feeling, am I a lovable person? Do people like me? Will I have enough of what I need or want? Fear of physical harm?

Sometimes when watching the horrible things that happen in this world, it is easy to get very discouraged. It is easy to take on other peoples problems and want to be helpful, to have some kind of control. I have worked with homeless women for 7 and ½ years now. Watching these women, and even people in my own family, make very bad choices in their lives, and watching them ruin their lives is very sad, and highly discouraging.

What do we do with all of these hard,hardd things in life, to gain peace of mind and even joy in our lives? What do you do if the doctor tells you that you have a bad sickness, or someone you love dearly has died? Or what do you with that nagging feeling of inadequacies that haunt you, that say that 'you will never measure up? What if you feel like you just don't have what you want, and others always have more or better things then you ? Here are some things that I have had to tell myself, and have learned, and am still learning:

1- Count my blessings. We have more things to be happy about then what we don't have to be happy about. Philippians 4:12, 13 -- I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

2- When you have negative thoughts, tell the devil to be quite. Tell yourself the truth. God loves you so much. The Bible is full of these words. God sent His only Son to die for you and me. Tell yourself this everyday. 2 Corinthians 10:5(b) “[W]e take every thought captive to obey Christ.”

3- Don't go on your feelings, but what you know is true. Tell yourself, I either go all the way with God, or I don't go at all. “I know your deeds, that you are neither cold or hot. I wish you were eiteitherther one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm-neither hot or cold-I am about to spit you out of My mouth”. Revelations 3:15-16.

4- Worship and praise God! God is God! There is no other one like Him. He made and holds the universe in His hands. He made us so intricately and marvelously. God made all the animals, trees, flowers, sea life, mountains, and everything in this world. And yet, He loves each one of us very individually and as if we were the only one He made. This is hard for many of us to understand, because we didn't have the right attention when we were children, and had many people who treated us indifferently. But we must know, just because we are not used to something doesn't mean that it isn't real. God loves each one of you so much. It has and is taking a lifetime for me to understand this, and I don't know the half of it yet, but will have an eternity for God to show me.

“Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our maker. For He is our God and we are the people of His pasture, the flock under His care”. Psalm 95:6,7

5- Last, Surrender to God. Daily, surrender. Even if we don't feel up to it, surrender. No matter what we are going through, give everything to Him. When I had my cancers, I remember after surrendering my life to the Lord, feeling full of peace and joy. Now, when I am stressed at work, with women that have very serious problems, I surrender my day, the ladies, and myself. I haven't learned any of this perfectly, but I know that the more I do this, I will have peace of mind, God's grace and strength, and joy, even in trials. This is a one day at a time thing.


Philippians 4:4-7 (NIV).4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

2 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for what you wrote. Although these are truths which I alredy knew, I sure needed to be reminded of them!

Thank you also for what you shared about your own life, personally. Sometimes in my self-centered world, I feel like I am the only one experiencing difficulties (of course, I know that is not true, but everyone else's life seems to be so polished.)

May God bless you.

 
At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Big Sis, I enjoyed your sermon very much! It ministered deeply to me!
You have been such a wonderful example to me and have shown me through your walk, that God Is truly faithful!!
I thank Him for putting you before me in my life, and thankyou again for all your prayers!!!! I still use the Bible you sent me in 1978! What a great gift!! I'm glad were sisters, especially friends!!! Love you LOTS!!! Shirley

 

Post a Comment

<< Home